Where all the unsaid things are.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

EVACUATED


Futile Listening

I have a very short attention span. That makes me a very bad listener sometimes. I am easily influenced by my judgments to the speaker. I don’t listen if I don’t like the topic or simply I just don’t feel like listening. I am very critical about the diction, although I don’t have a very good one, too. There’s this time when I can’t focus to a particular speaker, a teacher, because I was trying to figure out what he means when he said “bhorn”, referring to the gas consumption of some sort or thing like that. So much of my rudeness, my classmate pulled my hair. I was sorry. I have this nasty habit of picking them up. But I’ve been trying hard not to do it often. Sometimes I just can’t help it, perhaps because I’m trying to get away with so much boredom especially if I’m sleepy. I am vindictive when I’m bored; I’m crazy when I’m sleepless. I do scribbles, drawings and sometimes nonsense verses when I don’t like to listen but I have to stay awake. If I did compile those doodles, I could have a greenhorn book by now. However, there are speakers who kept me listening all throughout - people who talk extra sensible. Those who could lift up ideas like a magicians lift up magic from their speed and imagination. And they are the coolest person in the world for me. “Born-speaker” idea is a myth. If you are a good speaker, it’s because you can make your audience listen, not because your mother ate amplifiers while conceiving you.

I am not a good listener most of my life. But sometimes I could be. I always believe that response depends upon the stimulus, which means, good speakers make good listeners. Right now I’m working on my listening skills more than ever, because it’s the major media of learning my course, knowing that we aren’t still experiencing the hospital dramas first hand. Giddiness and dozing are the greatest adversary of my resolution. I’m trying to overcome dozing by sleeping early at night (except those insomniac nights) and every possible time that I could steal sleep. While I keep away thinking things million miles away from me when listening (although some of the time you can’t just help but to think them especially if you are used in doing it) to avoid giddiness. Basically, those are the things that I do to get rid of my futile poor listening habits. I also made a very strong deal with myself not to laugh at speaker’s mistakes, because that is very rude. So far, I’m doing a good job. I know I can’t change things I’ve been used to. I can’t change my habits that easily, because old habits really die hard. I can’t change being distracted most of the time, especially if daydreaming is my favorite transgression (haha). I can’t change something overnight especially if procrastination is my favorite sin. I can’t change many things. And I’m sorry. Only time does that.

August 8, 2008
Essay for my Speech Communication class
My Ineffective Listening Habits

Description of Red by a Mushy Creature to a Blind Person

Topic #3: How will you explain color red to a blind person (since birth) using verbal communication only?

excerpts from my Speech Comm term paper


I love colors, you know. I could paint my deepest thoughts with them. They can go deeper than my thoughts could go - more profound than what the human eye can see. Red is a primary color. Red is one of the vibrant colors for me.

If you would ask a preschool kid what is red, she will probably say that its the uppermost color of the rainbow. Yes, it is. It has the largest spectrum. It remains in the sky even after all the colors have gone...

They say love is blind. They also say that the color of love is red. I'm wondering if love knows how brilliant its color is, do you?
You can draw hundreds of other beautiful colors from it. Red mixed with blue will make violet. Red and yellow makes orange. Red and white makes pink. Red and green makes brown. Red reflected to a prism would make a play of colors on creamy walls. Red could look a hundred beautiful things as it could mean...

Sometimes red could just mean pain. When you get your finger pricked, you get hurt, you bleed. Don't you know that human and most of animal bloods are red, too?

Red could be the warmth that you feel when you are hugged...
Red could be as sweet as the taste of your strawberry jam on your breakfast...

Red could be as courageous as the blood of men who went to war for their country...

Red is a very large color for human eye. You can't see it with just one perspective. Sometimes you can feel its full color even without actually seeing it...

Monday, January 26, 2009

THE BIG DUTY

im so excited about our hospital duty tomorrow. THE BIG DUTY. because that's going to be the first. and if it would not make me such a pessimist, i'd say that first times are really a mess! wah. good luck. GOOD LUCK TO ME!

we're assigned @ OB ward. 3-11.

we've started our community duty 2 weeks ago and actually do "it" [you know, THE DUTY] for 2 Saturdays already. but hospital is a different thing.

i already had one case in the community. i'm working with a pregnant woman at her term. i hope i really could be of any help to her..

Sunday, December 7, 2008

When you cut your finger, it bleeds; you may not like blood, its scary and messy, but fingers that are cut are suppose to bleed.

That's healthy.

If they don't bleed there's something wrong.

Besides, one of my CI once said that all wounds heal.
After a wound bleeds, it starts healing. :)

Sunday, November 30, 2008

no turning back.

life is a one way road. no turning back. no U turns. just straight ahead.

proven right.

its been 5 days since we had our IM and SubQ injections. sterile water. hurts so bad.

and i realized that there will be no quitting in my course. harr! i've gone too far to allow that needle into my skin! haha.

nursing, it will be!

hospital exposure would begin @ January. DR. half scared, half excited.
i'm going to meet a lot of newbies. right there! yeah! :) ;) :?
0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Mush Potato Corner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena